This is the perfect Roast Chicken recipe you’ll make over and over again for a family dinner ! Roast Chicken slathered with a garlic-herb-lemon cardamom then oven roasted to golden crispy perfection. The best Roast Chicken recipe is juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside with golden skin that’s buttery and hereby spicy with just a subtle perfume of lemon to remind you it’s there without overwhelming. It creates its own pan juices that’s used as the sauce for the chicken.
- 1 whole chicken with skin on
- Chicken Brine
- Cold water as needed
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 2 tbsp salt
- Chicken marinade
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp Green cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp carom seeds
- 4 green chilies
- Cloves of garlic
- 1 inch pieces of ginger
Step 1: Brining the chicken
- Clean the cavity of your chicken and wash it well. Place your chicken in a deep bowl or pot.
- Add salt and vinegar. Add enough cold water to submerge the chicken completely Make sure all the salt has dissolved.
- Keep the chicken in the fridge overnight or atleast 12 hours.
- After 12 hours, bring out the chicken and drain the brine. Rinse the chicken once and pat dry.
Step 2: Chicken Marinade
- Dry roast coriander seeds, Carom seeds and cumin seeds in a pan until coriander seeds turn slightly golden brown.
- Grind the spice mix coarsely. Add salt, black pepper powder and cardamom powder to the spice mix and mix well. This is your spice rub.
- In the same grinder, add lemon juice, green chilies and garlic ginger and blend well to form a paste.
- Mix only half of the spice mix with the chili paste to make a chicken marinade paste.
Coat the chicken with the marinade paste well, covering the cavity and nooks and crannies.
Let the cold chicken sit out marinated while it comes down to room temperature. (roughly about 15 to 20 mins)
Step 3: Roasting the chicken
- Truss the chicken with a thread or dental floss, trying its legs well and tucking the wings in.
- Preheat the oven at 160 °C.
- Place chicken in a pan. And keep it in the middle rack of the oven.
- Bake for 20 mins on one side and then flip and bake for another 20 mins.
Credit goes to u/foodfixture