This is a simple little recipe that uses fully cooked crab meat to keep it more affordable and simpler to make , Combine with a Spicy Red Pepper Remoulade from the fried green tomato recipe you have a real hit on your hands
Low Carb Keto Crab Cakes
· 1 cup almond flour
· 1 pound crab claw meat ( fully cooked )
· 2 egg lightly beaten
· ½ teaspoon paprika
· 1/4 cup mayonnaise
· 2 teaspoons lemon juice ideally fresh
· 1 teaspoon hot sauce such as Tobasco original
· 2 green onions finely chopped
· 1 cup low carb coconut flour breading ( recipe below )
· 1 tablespoon olive oil
· 1 tablespoon butter
· Salt and pepper to taste
Low Carb Coconut Flour Breading
1 – Cup Coconut flour.
2- Tsp baking powder.
1-Tsp garlic powder.
¼ Cup Parmesan cheese.
2-Tbs minced Parsley.
Combine and mix thoroughly.( Un used breading can be kept frozen )
Low Carb / Keto Spicy Red Pepper Remoulade
¾ Cup mayonnaise
¼ Cup sour cream
1-Tsp tomato paste
2-Tbsp chopped scallions or chives “divided”
3-Tbsp grated or minced sweet red pepper
2-Tbsp grated or minced red onion
1-Tsp minced garlic
½ Tsp Sriracha hot chili sauce
½ -Tsp Franks Red Hot or Texas Pete
Salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
1- Pinch smoked paprika
1. Set up your breading station: Line a platter or baking sheet with parchment paper and spread low carb coconut flour breading onto a medium plate.
2. Place crab in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together first 5 ingredients (egg through green onions). Gently fold egg mixture into crab meat until fully combined.
3. Chill mixture in the fridge for 20 minutes
4. Scoop out 1/3 cup of the mixture and shape into a 1/2-inch thick crab cake. Gently coat the crab cake in panko low carb coconut flour breading and place on prepared platter or baking sheet. Repeat with remaining mixture.
5. Heat olive oil and butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat until sizzling. Add crab cakes and cook 2 minutes(be careful not to burn the breading adjust heat as necessary), gently press down on the tops with a spatula to flatten them slightly. Gently flip and cook 2 minutes more, until golden brown; if they crumble a little on the flip, gently press them back together with your spatula.
6. Serve hot with Remoulade Sauce.
Nutrition Facts ( For the Crab Cakes ) Servings 4.0 Amount Per Serving calories 416 % Daily Value * Total Fat 30 g 45 % Saturated Fat 3 g 15 % Monounsaturated Fat 1 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g Trans Fat 0 g Cholesterol 232 mg 77 % Sodium 389 mg 16 % Potassium 63 mg 2 % Total Carbohydrate 9 g 3 % Dietary Fiber 5 g 18 % Sugars 2 g Protein 32 g 65 % Vitamin A 48 % Vitamin C 3 % Calcium 53 % Iron 12 % * The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.
Nutrition Facts ( For the Remoulade ) Servings 20.0 Amount Per Serving calories 64 % Daily Value * Total Fat 7 g 10 % Saturated Fat 1 g 7 % Monounsaturated Fat 2 g Polyunsaturated Fat 4 g Trans Fat 0 g Cholesterol 6 mg 2 % Sodium 61 mg 3 % Potassium 20 mg 1 % Total Carbohydrate 1 g 0 % Dietary Fiber 0 g 1 % Sugars 1 g Protein 0 g 0 % Vitamin A 5 % Vitamin C 4 % Calcium 1 % Iron 0 % * The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.
By Chef Tyler Macon