So we know that tomatoes are actually a fruit and not a vegetable. By that logic, they shouldn’t be keto because fruits are not keto friendly. However, tomatoes are one of the fruits that are actually keto friendly! Low carb count compared to other “fruits”. As long as you eat in moderation, you will be good!
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ lb. ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (1-oz.) packet taco seasoning
- 4 large, ripe beefsteak tomatoes
- ½ c. shredded Mexican cheese blend
- ½ c. shredded iceberg lettuce
- ¼ c. sour cream
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft, 5 minutes. Add ground beef and taco seasoning. Cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 8 minutes. Drain fat.
- Flip over tomatoes so they’re stem-side down and slice to make 6 wedges, being careful not to cut all the way through. Carefully spread open wedges.
- Divide taco meat among tomatoes, then top each with cheese, lettuce, and sour cream before serving.
I needed to make it a little more budget friendly..at my Walmart they sell a Ground Turkey with Taco Seasoning frozen roll and its only 1.50.. so saved on seasoning and meat and it tastes just as great <3